Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mumin Bento

I made Missy Lulu a Mumin Bento for snack today. Mumins are are characters in children's books and comics by Finnish illustrator and writer Tove Jansson. They are a family of funny looking things who are white and roundish, with large snouts that make them look kinda like hippopotamuses. They are a carefree and adventurous family, living  in the forests of Finland. They have many adventures along with their many friends. It's a wonderfully creative and distinctive Finnish trademark!


Here in this lunch bento we have
  • A heart shaped pizza slice with extra cheese and Mumi Pappa and Mumi Momma
  • A big strawberry and blackberries
  • Apple juice to drink
I made the Mumin characters with provolone cheese and cut out nori pieces. The red pieces are little pieces of salami. She loves Mumin and was quite excited when she saw them this morning!

6 comments:

  1. How did you cut the Mumi out? Wow how intricate, looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this trick I learned in the bento blogosphere...just use thin sliced cheese and cut around a traced drawing (on wax paper) with a tooth pick!

      Delete
  2. I don't know about the character but they are super cute:) How do you cut out the nori to such thin pieces( initially I thought you used food safe marker)? I am blown away. I can never do that without snipping my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rina! Yes here's the cheat!! Haha! You take various punches with shapes you can use for your project! For this one I used a Winnie the pooh, Mickey Mouse and Doraemon punches! All lines will be thin and exact! Placing is tricky though, I usually wet my cheese and place the nori pieces with a uncooked spaghetti noodle.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Awesome job with the nori! V nice. :)

    ReplyDelete